Threatened Species List
Today 56 viper species are vulnerable to critically endangered
Photo by Scott Trageser
How endangered are vipers
Why are they Threatened
- Many wild snakes are captured for illegal trade.
- In many parts of the world, humans hunt vipers for food.
- The collection of vipers for venom extraction has resulted in potential over-collection of several species.
- The rapidly changing climate is a growing challenge for vipers.
- In many countries, snakes are persecuted and killed due to fear or hatred.
Want to learn more about the status of Vipers? Discover the IUCN Red List
What is it ? The IUCN Red List is a critical indicator of the health of the world’s biodiversity. Far more than a list of species and their status, it is a powerful tool to inform and catalyze action for biodiversity conservation and policy change, critical to protecting the natural resources we need to survive. It provides information about range, population size, habitat and ecology, use and/or trade, threats, and conservation actions that will help inform necessary conservation decisions.
We can make a difference by changing the trajectory of declines and preventing extinctions of viper species. But to really make an impact, we need to do it together!